Monday, August 22, 2005

epicenter

So this morning I've been reading Isaiah 40 & 41. It reminds me again how "out of sorts" things are in my head. And it's a tragedy. Epicenter... know what it means? It refers to the point of the earth's surface directly above the focus of an earthquake. It's the focal point of tragedy. It's the point of origin of something that's just not right. You see, for me at least, I'm spending too much of my time & efforts trying to keep the world revolving around me. And it doesn't work that way. The world revolves around God. He is the center. He is the focal point of all that is good & perfect & right. He is the point of origin that keeps everything under His care. He needs to be the center of my life... and I need to put an end to trying to make my life the center of His attention.

"To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal?" asks the Holy One. Isaiah 40:25

"Who has done such mighty deeds, directing the affairs of the human race as each new generation marches by? It is I, the LORD, the First & the Last. I alone am He." Isaiah 41:4

1 comment:

Jason said...

Isaiah 44 continues this stream of thought. God rails against Israel for their rampant idolatry. "Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one. All who make idols are nothing...they are ignorant, tho their own shame." (44:8-9). Idols are created; only the Eternal Creator God is worthy of worship.

This makes me realize that my idols, though far more sophisticated than those of Israel, are no less foolish.