Wednesday, September 07, 2005

praying for patience

I've been waiting to write about this since Sunday. It's been one of those things that's been on my mind, percalating over the past few days. I found myself praying for patience Sunday morning during communion. Not praying that God would give me patience. But that God would be patient with me. Praying for patience. I realize more & more that I am not yet who God has called me to be. I haven't arrived yet. I'm not there yet. I need God to be patient with me. I realize I'm not good at loving people. For those of you who know me well, you may find it strange for me to say that. Don't get me wrong. I love those who love me well. But what about the lady in the checkout line at Wal-Mart. What about the guy I see at the gas station. What about those I cross paths with everyday, & ignore for the most part. What is my influence on them? Am I effectively reflecting the love of God? Are people seeing the joy of the Lord in my life? I sang a song when I was growing up in Sunday school. It went like this...

He's still working on me
To make me what I ought to be
It took Him just a week to make the moon & the stars
The earth & the sky & Jupitar & Mars
How loving & patient He must be
'Cause He's still working on me.

Thank you God for not giving up on me. For being patient with me. Father, make me what you want me to be. May I reflect your love & your glory to all those around, for Your name's sake.

No comments: